Monday, May 3, 2010

My First Day of Pastry School


While it was my first day of pastry school at the Secchia Institude for Culinary Education, I can't say that I actually made anything, studied a recipe or was even in a kitchen. My first class is the somewhat unglamourous "Restaurant Sanitation and Safety." However, after reviewing through the book (published by the National Restaurant Association) and attending the first lecture, I think it will be pretty interesting. And, I think it will be timely to take this course before the others so I can learn the food code and proper sanitation procedures prior to taking the baking courses. I was excited and just a touch apprehensive about diving back into school. I got my book, student I.D., found the building and figured out where to park. The room was full of an interesting mix of students, all mostly much younger than me. The first day certainly felt like the official turning of the first page in this next chapter in my life...on the road to become a pastry chef. Since I don't get to learn about baking and make fancy desserts, I'll just have to continue doing that week after week at home and keep practicing and creating. That's fun regardless and it will prepare me for when I do get to hit the kitchen and wear this cool chef's jacket that my sister and brother-in-law got me for Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment