Sunday, November 5, 2017

Brioche Loaves





In our household, my husband is usually the one making the bread.  But, I make the brioche.  I haven't made it for a few years though and the last time I made it, I recall it being an easier experience.  Perhaps it was that I had less distractions and was not multi-tasking as much as I seem to be now. 
We bought a loaf (for $11!!) at the farmers market a few weekends ago and I told myself that I would just make it myself next time.  Now, I know why they were selling it for $11 for a small loaf. I think I would sell the loaves I made for $50 as there is a lot of patience, care and TIME that is involved in making it.  It's SOooooo worth it though.

I used the Martha Stewart brioche loaf recipe. However, her recipe didn't indicate how to form the loaves, so while I kneaded the dough, I had fun watching a few brioche fanatics on YouTube.

I made the dough the day before, let it rise a few times and then let it sit overnight. I wasn't able to get to it right away the next day so it was left all day in the refrigerator until I had time to get to it in the evening. So, it was a bit sticky, but I worked with it to see what would come of it anyway.

I made one large loaf and two smaller loaves. One with the balls of brioche dough and one where I braided it slightly.

This is before rising:




And after rising:
(with how sticky the dough is, I was happy it did!)



They baked very nicely and the internal temperature read of 205 degrees was spot on.  While my dough was not as smooth this time, I was really happy with how they turned out (and taste!).  We have had brioche toast, brioche french toast, brioche sandwiches and with the remaining loaf, I'm planning to cut it up in cubes and save it to make stuffing for Thanksgiving.  How decadent will brioche stuffing be?!






No comments:

Post a Comment