Sunday, February 26, 2017

Tall New York Cheesecake with Cherry Sauce



My husband absolutely LOVES cheesecake. It's not my favorite, but if it's homemade and has a fruit topping, I do enjoy it. But, it doesn't matter if I like it anyway. This particular cheesecake is for his birthday. His (ahem) 40th birthday.

He labors over my cake of multiple layers, buttercream and fondant. so I must make his favorite. I used the Tall and Creamy New York Cheesecake recipe by the NY Times. I figured a recipe right out of New York outta do the trick, right?  


I pureed grahm crakcers in the food processor to make the crumbs nice and fine, stirred in the sugar, salt and melted butter and then pressed it as evenly and as far up the sides of my 9 inch springform pan as I could. 


I mixed together the cream cheese filling and it filled the crust right to the brim. 


I was a bit concerned when it came out of the oven with this big crack in the side.  However, it calmed down a bit from it's Grand Canyon size crack to a smaller one as it cooled.  Plus, as it turns out, the crack was a nice little trap for the lovely cherry sauce. 


There you go. It's out of the springform pan. Thank goodness it didn't stick completely to the sides of the pan. Plus, that crack is barely as noticeable.  And, when the cherry sauce goes on top, you won't even notice. 


And, speaking of cherry sauce, here it is. I thought this bubbly deep red sauce was so gorgeous. I used frozen cherries to make this, but definitely didn't want to settle for just the gloopy canned stuff. I used this recipe which was very simple:

Ingredients:

3/4 C. sugar
2 t. cornstarch
1 pinch of salt
1/3 C. water
4 C. fresh tart red cherries or frozen unsweetened tart red cherries, pitted

Directions:

Combine sugar, cornstarch and salt in a saucepan. Stir in water. Add the cherries and cook until thick and bubbly. 



I let the sauce cool a bit and then added it to the top of the cheesecake.


I didn't mind the sauce running down the sides as it is such a pretty color. It's the year of the sparkler at our house to celebrate birthdays instead of candles.  Happy birthday to my hubby!


No comments:

Post a Comment